Hello everyone, how are you?
My blog has been awfully quiet for the past month but I have been on a creative frenzy, trying to catch up with all my summer DT obligations. Today I am honored to show you a photo tutorial I made for Scrap Around the World. You can see all about our current challenge here.
I was inspired by the colours of the mood board, but chose to
tone them down to match my sweet granny's gorgeous vintage photo.
So, here we go!
1. Choose your base paper. Prepare the paper by applying a coat of clear gesso.
Clear gesso makes the paper more durable against wet mediums. The paint
is also more manageable because it doesn’t soak into the paper. After the clear
gesso dries, apply some crackle paste with a spatula through a stencil
& allow it to dry naturally.
2. After the paste is completely dry & the crackles appear, spray the paste with
the TA Vanilla Breeze & Prima Soft Teal mists.
3. Spray with the Prima Deep Teal mist then stamp with brown ink to give some
depth to the background & to make it more dramatic.
4. Prepare the papers for layering under your photo. Distress the edges with your
scissors & ink them. Add a small die-cut Moroccan panel, a page from an old
book & some chipboard. Spray two flowers with the TA Vanilla Breeze & Iridescent
Gold mists. Paint your Creative Embellishments chipboard with Shimmerz Apple cider Blingz, remembering to stir it
well first as the glimmery particles tend to stay at the bottom of the jar. Apply a
coat of gel medium to the Mechanicals then sprinkle on 13 arts gold
Microspheres & press gently to ensure they stick well.
5. Assemble your page. Add flowers, leaves, a die cut doily, some die cut
skeleton leaves & torn pieces of a doily. The one I used is an original
vintage doily knitted by my grandmother in the photo.
6. Apply more crackle paste in random patterns across your page & use a
paintbrush to paint some areas with all 3 mists. Make random splatters
with these mists as well as the Gold Foil mist & add some more stamping too.
7. Slightly dry-brush some gesso on the flowers to add to the vintage
look. Apply gel medium on random areas of your page & sprinkle 13 arts
gold Microspheres over it. Your layout is now ready!
Some close ups
The final project.
I hope you enjoyed the tutorial and hopefully it will inspire you to create a page of your own!